The Ends vs. Means article from this week stuck out to me for a number of reasons.
Smith started the article by giving examples of various journalists and other writers who have obtained hot stories through undercover work. She then moved into a discussion of the ethics involved. Her first example pointed immediately to the ends vs. means tactics of the Nazi Germans during WWII.
I call foul.
Seldom can you start a fair ethical argument with a comparison to Nazi Germany. I do see her comparison, but boy is it extreme.
I had a few other issues with the story. Much like when a journalist uses anonymous sources, undercover journalists should consider if there is any possible way to uncover the same information without deception. Maybe it won't be as flashy or good for the journalist's career, but it's necessary to consider. Smith does briefly mention using other tactics to obtain the information, but I didn't feel that enough attention was given to forthright methods of obtaining the same information.
Another issue stemmed from the language Smith used when discussing how undercover methods apply to regular citizens. She used a source who stated, "It’s dishonest for anyone in journalism to pretend to be someone they’re not. This rule doesn’t apply to folks outside the profession." This is her only comment on undercover tactics as they apply to non-journalists, and it is a strange quote to leaving hanging in the open air.
On a side note, I once visited Jerry Falwell's Thomas Road Baptist Church, the subject of an undercover book by Gina Welch referenced in the article. I did some research, and the author came to similar conclusions as me. While I do not identify as an Evangelical, I am a Christian (the author was a non-believer). She attended this church for two years and developed deep affection for the members. She also found that they helped her answer some profound questions in her life. I attended the nearby Liberty University (also founded by Falwell, though it is nowhere as extreme as people would tend to believe) for one year and genuinely liked many Evangelicals I came into contact with. I think most stigmas and stereotypes are easily broken, and Welch wouldn't have had to go under cover to experience what I experienced.
As if honesty doesn't apply to regular citizens. Ha!
ReplyDelete