As I read the article about Josh Mandel and Politifact, I found myself believing Politifact's assessments without a second thought.
Near the end of the article, I started to realize that I was personally guilty of what the article discusses: believing something without bothering to check into it.
Much like the pharmaceutical industry finances drug trials and studies, politicians would have a huge incentive to fund or influence political fact-checking services.
I have heard of Politifact before. And the fact that an online newspaper uses their statements in print should be enough to convince me. But shouldn't I look at this site for myself? I thought I had learned to be skeptical of information and sources.
I want to end with a wish. I wish there were organizations out there that everyone could get behind--omsbudsmen universally respected for their ability to separate fact from fiction. These people used to be called journalists!
Ha! Keep wishing.
ReplyDelete