The TED Talk we watched for week 7 sunk in with me. In the past, I had been guilty of allowing myself to be walled in by only the news that I wanted to see.
I only bookmarked sites that would provide news about the topics I cared about. I only clicked on Facebook links for articles I thought I would agree with. I ignored local news completely.
Since companies like Google and Facebook are now deciding what news will trickle into our feeds, we have to be conscious of the need for dissenting opinions, contrary evidence, and news that doesn't directly affect us. We have to read every article and watch every video with an open mind and a skeptical eye.
One of the best ways to do this is to take from a variety of sources. I now have a digital subscription to the local paper, and I at least read the title and blurb for every major article. I also read USA Today online daily. On my phone, I get breaking news updates (international and domestic) from BBC.
Maybe enough pressure will be placed on Facebook and Google to take up the mantle of civic and social responsibility. Maybe they will stop causing users to exist within a bubble of affirmation journalism. Unfortunately, your average citizen probably has no idea it's happening, and no understanding of the importance of seeking out other sources and opinions.
I certainly had no idea this was happening until I viewed the video!
ReplyDelete